Tuesday, August 6, 2013

Loving the Puppy aka Becoming a Writer

I received my first journal on my birthday, May 5 1985; I was nine years old. I didn't realize it then, but that opened the door to my love of writing.   I wrote about boys I liked, the friends I made and my family.  I have kept track of all my boyfriends, friends that have come and gone, and family that has passed.  When I am feeling down, or just wanting to reminisce about times past, I will open up an old journal and while away the hours reading about my life.
I am 37 years old and I now have six journals that I have written in over my lifetime.  Some only have a few pages filled, some are filled almost all the way.  I never was one to write in a journal daily; I would write when the feeling hit, or when emotions were so strong I had to write them down because I couldn't hold them in any longer.
It was through these journals that I discovered I wanted to write short stories and novels. On January 1, 2004 I wrote in my journal about my dream of one day becoming a writer.  On a wish list I created in 1997, I wrote that I wanted to "write a story for future generations to enjoy".  In high school, I wrote short stories and poems in my English classes as well as Composition classes.  I feel as if writing has been a little puppy dog, following me around for years, trying to get my attention.  I would turn and pet it occasionally, but I would never really give it my full attention.  Now, I am ready.
I know I will never be the best writer; my skills come up short.  Besides high school, I have never taken a writing course.  My focus in college was on becoming a special education teacher. I taught for thirteen years in a local school district before realizing that wasn't my passion; that wasn't what I desired out of life.  Don't get me wrong; I  LOVE working with children, and I still feel drawn to teaching and working with kids.  However, I would like to fulfill my dream of writing.
I am currently working on a story called Touch; it is about the relationship between families and how decisions we make can have devastating effects on the people we love.  I also have written several poems and I have a children's book in my mind that is clawing to get out.
I am going to continue to write.  I may never get published.  My family may be the only ones to read my finished pieces.  But at least I am able to say that I am pursuing a dream, that for most of my life has been just that, a dream.  I decided to turn around and pick up the puppy and give it some love and care that it has been desiring all these years.







1 comment:

  1. It's been a while since I've read and enjoyed your writing, and I'm excited to read that you're continuing to write. I look forward to reading your future work. It's interesting to see your name as Allie Bolton, since I know you as Allison Kirby. So I'll have to get used to this "new" name when I hear your familiar voice in your writing.

    Sheila Thompson

    ReplyDelete